Thursday, February 29, 2024

Mt. Cheaha 50k - Very Nice Weather!

February 24

Ready to run!
The morning dawns clear and cool.  The temperature is near 40 degrees.  This will be the fifth time I have run this race, but the first time since 2019.  I am looking to get out quickly and see how good of shape I am in.  Martha drops me off at the start at Porter’s Gap.  I chat with Lanier and Dink, and then without warning the race begins.  Typically, this race starts with the playing of Sweet Home Alabama, but there was no music right at the start, just a yell and a cheer and we are off.

Mile 3.3      36:36 (11:05 avg./mile) Chandler Springs

I sprint up to the trailhead so that I am not stuck too far deep in the conga line.  I must be content to be where I am.  Only a couple of runners stop to walk any of the initial hills.  I run the early hills so that I won’t lose my position in the line.  It is only when there are steep climbs that we all stop running to power hike.  I find myself behind a lady who has a nice stride.  I match her stride all of the way into this first aid station where the music is blaring, Sweet Home Alabama.  Someone jokes that they need to make up for the lack of music at the start.  This first aid station offers only water, and the lady runs right through passing several other runners.  I follow her lead.

Mile 8.5      1:04:48 (12:28 avg./mile) Clairmont Gap

The lady and I start the first climb of this section, and she is following a guy that she clearly knows.  They chat back and forth, and I just follow behind listening.  At some point we all introduce ourselves.  The lady is Jessica, and she is running her first ultra.  The guy is Tony, and both of them are from the Birmingham area.  I stay with them until the dirt road, and when they slow down, I press forward.  This section ends on a nice, gradual downhill into the aid station, and I make the most of it.  I grab half a sandwich of PB&J at the aid station.  So far I feel good, and I am drinking a good amount of water.  The temperature has warmed into the 50s.

Mile 14.9    1:31:59 (14:22 avg./mile) Adams Gap

This section begins with a healthy climb—the toughest in the race so far.  I am following two guys that are talking about the number of times they have run the Pinhoti 100.  The older of the two is Bob, and he says he has run Pinhoti nine times.  The younger one, who is Kip, says he has run it 14 times—more than anyone else.  Kip is a firefighter and worked a shift last night.  He got off at 5:00am, drove straight to the race, and now is enjoying the challenge with the rest of us.  He says he got about four hours total of naps through the night.  I stay with Kip for most of this section.  The latter two miles on this section are fairly technical.  At some point, Kip slowed down so I push on ahead.  There is a short little trail spur that goes into the aid station such that we all get to see who is a couple of hundred yards ahead and behind us.  I grab two PB&J sandwich quarters, refill my Camelbak, and then I see Tony on the trail spur.  He is looking good, but I am surprised he is this close behind me given how hard I have run to this point.

Mile 18.9    55:55 (13:59 avg./mile) Hubbard Creek

I leave Adams Gap with the goal of slow and steady for this section.  It has now warmed up into the 60s.  I have been drinking copious amounts of water, but I haven’t peed since the start of the race.  My easy does it pace allows a handful of runners to get by me during this section.  I feel fine, but it seems like my motivation to push hard has left me.  I roll into this aid station thankful that I am over halfway to the finish.  I grab two Fig Newton cookies to eat at this aid station.

Mile 25.8    1:40:58 (14:38 avg./mile) Silent Trail

I need to stay focused on the task in front of me—finish this section and then the end will be in sight.  Meanwhile, more runners steadily come by me.  One of them is Tony.  He barely has time to say hi as he is moving well.  I navigate the two stream crossings just fine, but then in my attempts to hold off another runner passing me, I catch my left big toe on a root and hit the dirt.  Jimmy is the runner right behind me and asks me a couple of times if I am okay before proceeding.  I climb another hill and pass this building, which I remember is less than a mile from the aid station.  Sure enough, 10 minutes later I am into this fluid only aid station.  I get some water added to my Camelbak and push up the gravel road.

Mile 28.5    34:23 (12:44 avg./mile) Lake Cheaha

I run and walk the gravel road up to the paved road and find myself beside Jimmy, who helped me dust myself off on the last section after my fall.  I eat an Access Bar since the last aid station didn’t have any food.  When we make the turn on the paved road, I am feeling like I have more energy.  Another runner, Tommy, has joined us.  The three of us run into the State Park to the last aid station.  I walk right through the aid station, only grabbing two cups of Coke and drinking them.

Mile 31.6    53:05 (17:07 avg./mile) FINISH – Bald Rock

I power hike the early part of the climb that they call, “Blue Hell.”  There are blue blazes marking this part of the trail, and this section climbs about 1,500 feet in less than a mile.  When it starts getting steep, I am behind Andrew Cotter.  He is moving slow and steady, and for a minute I think about going around him.  However, I remain patient and keep my pace slow and steady as well with relentless forward progress.  As runners stop to take breaks, Andrew and I keep moving forward.  I think we passed 4 or 5 runners in this fashion.  My legs start talking to me as we near the top, but I manage to keep them from cramping.  Once the climb is over, we still have a mile and a half or so to the finish.  We are on the road for a bit and then turn back onto a trail.  In this part, a recent fire has burnt much of the underbrush.  As a matter of fact, it is still smoldering in places.  So, we get to run through a little smoke.  I managed to stay in front of Andrew, but just behind Tommy, and have a decent kick for the downhill finish.

Nice finish!
Official Finishing Time 7:17:44

78th out of 211 finishers (16th of M50-59)

This day was beautiful without a cloud in the sky the whole time.  The temperature could have been a little cooler, but then there was a steady breeze all day.  The only time I felt warm was in some of the valleys where I was sheltered from the wind.  I always want to finish faster, but this is a nice time on this course.  I have run faster, but that was seven years ago.  My next race is going to be the Bull Run Run 50 Miler on April 6th.  My son, Nathan, is also running that race so we will see if father time favors the young or the old.  Until then…

Never stop running,

Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment