Saturday, August 25, 2012

First race after ACL reconstruction

August 25

It is 4:30am on a Saturday morning in late August.  It has been four and a half months since my right ACL was reconstructed by patella auto graft.  My recovery has gone very well with no setbacks.  Today, Amy (my 16 year old daughter) and I will run the Patrick Henry half marathon in Ashland, Virginia.  We ran 11 miles together a month ago, and then she asked if we could run the half marathon.  Not having any good reason not to, I consented but said it was only going to be a long training run.  Her cross country coach concurred with this.

So, I am lying in bed wide awake, anxious for my first race of any kind since last December.  I have only slept about five hours as my anxiousness is weighing heavily on me.  Questions/thoughts swirl around my head.  Will my knee give me any trouble?  How is my conditioning?  Finally, I am just plain excited to be in a race again, and I get to run it with my daughter.  Amy and I discussed pace on Thursday and decided that we should be able to hold at least 8:30/mile.

We leave the house a little after 5:30am.  The race starts promptly at 7:00am.

Mile 1         8:17

I am running as slow as I can stand.  Amy is ready to run faster as well, but I know we shouldn’t let ourselves get pulled out fast by the crowd of other runners.  The weather is relatively cool, around 68 degrees, overcast, and light rain.

Mile 2         8:18

Another smooth easy mile, as the crowd of runners begins to settle in.  We pass by the first water stop, not even thinking about taking any fluids.

Mile 3         8:17

Our pace is very smooth and comfortable.  We are now leaving the town limits of Ashland and heading into the country of Hanover County.

Mile 4         8:18

The second water stop of the race is manned by the PH Cross Country team.  Her coach kiddingly tells us to pick it up.  It is a huge motivation to see them all.

Mile 5         8:06

After getting cheered on by her teammates and coach, we increase the pace slightly.

Mile 6         7:59

Taking advantage of a slight downhill, we run our first sub-8:00 mile.  I think to myself, okay let’s see if we can hold this sub-8:00 pace for a few miles.  Amy looks good, and neither of us is really breathing hard yet.

Mile 7         7:55

Turning the corner onto Blanton Road, Amy takes a fall.  I think this was helped by a runner who took a cup of water and then proceeded to start walking in front of us, right at the turn.  Anyway, she quickly picks herself up and is no worse for wear.

Mile 8         7:22

After recovering from the fall, Amy is feeling frisky and pushes the pace.  I have two thoughts:  1) Is she ready to hold this faster pace, 2) Can I keep up if she does?

Mile 9         7:34

We settle back down to a more reasonable pace as we are still over four miles from the finish.  The rain is steady, but still light, and we are facing a slight headwind.  The crowd of runners has definitely spread out, and we have been steadily passing other runners since we picked up the pace.

Mile 10       7:37

Another nice hard mile, and now we can really start to stretch our legs.  I mention to Amy that the warm-up is over, and it is time to run.  She says that she isn’t sure she wants to run faster, and I say that is fine.  Then Amy picks up the pace.

Mile 11       6:52

Picks up the pace and starts really moving.  Of course, we are helped by a downhill, but still this is quick.  We pass Eric Winston, who is the dad of one of Amy’s teammates.

Mile 12       7:34

The 12th mile heads back uphill, and my legs don’t have the same strength that they did before my ACL injury.  Therefore, this 7:34 mile is my split.  Amy is about 30 seconds ahead of me as we start the last mile.

Mile 13       7:09

I have a decent kick at the end, and I feel great, except for the fact that my daughter has just dusted me in this race.


Official Finishing Time          1:41:51

144th out of 1,195 finishers, 22nd out of 126 Males, 40-44

Amy ends up finishing in 1:40:53, just under a minute ahead of me.  Considering she made that gap in the last two miles, I would say she had a good kick at the finish.  I believe her last mile was 6:33!  And, she finished 20th among all females, and first in her age group (F15-19).

My recovery race is now out of the way, and I have some serious mileage to put in over the next 3+ months before Hellgate in December.  Here’s hoping the recovery continues going well.

Never stop running,
Darin

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Had no idea you tore the ACL. No bueno but talk about a recovery... almost like you are bionic! And yet Amy still beat you!? Congrats to both of you... your recovery and Amy's shear speed :). BTW doing a 50miler in feb so love to get some advice - never thought I would say that eh? -drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, bionics are now modern medicine. The recovery and training is on pace, and I think I will be ready for Hellgate on December 8. On Saturday, Amy finished 12th at the Regional meet and will run at States this Saturday. What 50 miler are you doing? Is it hilly or relatively flat? - Darin

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12th at regionals! Wow - that girl can move! Doing the 50 mile course at Rocky Raccoon (Feb 2) and its about as flat as they come (east Texas). http://www.tejastrails.com/Rocky.html - two buddies of mine will be doing the 100.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good choice for your first 50 miler. I have a friend from Richmond, David Snipes, who will be running the 100 miler. Good luck on the training. Just get as much time on your feet training as possible.

    ReplyDelete