Thursday, August 27, 2026

Running on the Alter-G Treadmill

On May 28th, I was authorized to begin putting up to 50% body weight on my broken, left leg.  The following is a timeline of the progress that has been made over the summer.  I am exercising several times a week, but I am only writing about the highlights.  PT sessions for the first three weeks consisted of walking on the Alter-G treadmill at 50% body weight, riding the stationary bike for five minutes, lifting leg exercises on the weight machines, various new exercises that Michelle dreams up, and muscle stimulation with a fancy machine.

May 28 X-ray
June 18

Another doctor’s visit where my leg is x-rayed, and the Dr. Maples tells me I can start weaning off of the crutch.  He prescribes me a cane, and I get one before I leave the building.  In the afternoon, we travel to Oslo, Norway via Houston and Frankfurt.  The leg likes to be elevated, but sitting in comfort+, it can only be elevated a little bit.  We (my leg and I) survive the journey, and I even get preferential treatment going through border security in Frankfurt as I have a cane.  Interestingly, my internal hardware continues to pass through security with no issues.

June 18 X-ray
June 19-28

We spend the weekend in Oslo seeing all of the sights.  I am able to walk okay with the cane, but it is hard work.  After the weekend, we travel to Trondheim where the Fusion Conference is.  I take in all of the activities, except for the 5k run.  I had planned to walk the 5k, but I decided not to as it would have taken me well over an hour, and the 5k start/finish is 2km from the conference hotel.  Instead, I walk to the start and back and cheer on the runners.  I easily ended up walking a total of 5km.  The hotel gyms in Norway are outstanding, and I try an elliptical trainer one day.  I survive 15 minutes, but it leaves me very hobbled.  After that I do all of my assigned exercises and walk on the treadmill for 2.5 miles while leaning on the side rails heavily.

June 30

Back at PT, I get to run at 50% body weight for 10 minutes.  It is ugly, and I have to lean on the side rail somewhat.  I run this first time at a 10 minute/mile pace, so I get in one mile.  Michelle asks me several times if the leg is hurting.  It is, but not too much.

July 4

I walk without the cane for a mile.  It is ugly and it takes me over 40 minutes.  After this experience, I decide that I should continue using the cane most of the time.  My bike rides are stretching up to an hour, and I am still going to the pool when I can fit it into my schedule.

July 14

I go out for a 3-mile walk like I had two days before.  The day before I had my PT session, but was only able to walk at 70% body weight because the Alter-G treadmill wasn’t working well.  On this morning, I cut my walk short because the lower leg is still hurting after 1.5 miles.  I decide that I should start taking two days off each week now that I am doing real weight bearing training.

July 15

The newer Alter-G treadmill is now officially broken so I use the old one, and I am able to run for 15 minutes (I had to talk Michelle into going more than 10 minutes) at 50% body weight without touching the side rails at all!

July 20-22

I spend three days at Airventure in Oshkosh, camping out, and walking all over the exposition.  Using the cane, I can walk as fast as the average people at the event.

July 23

I continue my routine of riding the bike for 30 minutes then going to PT and running for 15 minutes at 55% body weight.  I tried going more than 55%, but the leg wasn’t ready for it yet.  On other days, I walk 3 miles and then go to the pool for deep water jogging for 40 minutes or more.

July 30

Another doctor’s visit today where x-rays are taken.  The PA says it is looking good as the gaps in the tibia are filling in.  I am not really sure it looks all that different from last time.  However, there is one clear difference—one of the screws is broken!  The PA asks me if I fell or anything.  Not since I saw you last month.  Regardless, she shrugs it off and says, well this other screw is holding that piece together.  I wonder if this may have been what I felt back on July 14th.

July 30 X-ray

July 31

I am able to run at 60% body weight on the Alter-G treadmill.  I am on travel this week, so two days later I go 20 minutes on the elliptical trainer without killing myself.

Aug 10

I ride the bike for 35 minutes and then go to PT where I am able to run at 62% body weight.  I know it isn’t a huge step forward, but it is forward progress, and I have managed not to regress, yet.  The next day, I walk without the cane for 1.5 miles.

Aug 17

I ride for 40 minutes before PT and then run for 20 minutes on the Alter-G treadmill at 65% body weight.  Michelle just asked if I wanted to go longer as I was not going to do the muscle stimulation today.  Of course!  I want to run as long as you will let me.  I am typically pushing my running pace up to 8 minutes per mile.  The next day I walk 3 miles in less than 60 minutes and aqua jog for 40 minutes.  The aqua jogging has two main benefits—it is a good cardio workout and just being in the water for a good length of time is great for the swelling in the leg.

Aug 20

Still 20 minutes on the Alter-G treadmill but now at 70% body weight!  Four days later, I repeat the running at 70% body weight and push the pace up to 7:30 miles.  I am traveling for work a fair bit now so I won’t be getting my two PT sessions a week.

Never stop running,

Darin

No comments:

Post a Comment